Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am a Histotechnologist and a Jewelry designer/maker. This blog is my way to tell you about my life and my art. I love art and science. Finally, my jewelry is bringing them together. I am inspired daily by the art and science I see under the microscope. Come with me on this fascinating journey as we explore the blending of art and science. Thank you for coming. Please come back. contact me: mdpraetATgmail.com

Friday, May 25, 2012

Hematoxylin & Eosin Necklace
This necklace uses the colors that are demonstrated in the Hematoxylin & Eosin stain. The H&E is a routine stain used daily in the histology lab. It is used to stain the nucleus and cytoplasm of cells, and is the first stain done on any tissue removed from the body. As the starting point for all diagnosis it gives the pathologist a tremendous amount of information and helps to determine if further studies are needed. The 8mm round purple center bead depicts the nucleus and the three different shades of pink 4mm bicone crystals depict the various cellular components scattered throughout the cytoplasm.
It is a stunning necklace.
Close up view.
  My first sample was purchased my Rita Lovshe of Lab Storage Systems, Inc. to give away at her booth this year at the 2012 NSH in Vancouver, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment