Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am a Histotechnologist and a Jewelry designer/maker. This blog is my way to tell you about my life and my art. I love art and science. Finally, my jewelry is bringing them together. I am inspired daily by the art and science I see under the microscope. Come with me on this fascinating journey as we explore the blending of art and science. Thank you for coming. Please come back. contact me: mdpraetATgmail.com

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Von Kossa Calcium Stain Bracelet

Calcium salts are normally present in bones and teeth. Abnormal deposits may be found in areas of TB infection, lymph nodes, fibroids, etc. This Von Kossa Calcium Stain bracelet depicts the brown to black calcium salts  using iris 3 x 3 mm cubes surrounded on all sides by iris seed beads with their various shades depicting the pink to red cytoplasm and nuceli. In the lab, tissue sections are treated with a silver nitrate solution and silver is deposited replacing the calcium. It is then reduced by a strong light and is visulized as metallic silver. That is why I picked the metallic iris cubes used in this bracelet.  This bracelet lays flat against your wrist making it a good choice for daily wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment