Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am a Histotechnologist and a Jewelry designer/maker. This blog is my way to tell you about my life and my art. I love art and science. Finally, my jewelry is bringing them together. I am inspired daily by the art and science I see under the microscope. Come with me on this fascinating journey as we explore the blending of art and science. Thank you for coming. Please come back. contact me: mdpraetATgmail.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sudan Black B

This necklace depicts the Sudan Black B stain, a stain to demonstrate fat. Fat found in an abnormal place such as the kidneys or brain affect treatment and prognosis. Injuries causing fractures or crushing of tissues may cause fat to be released in the blood stream and cause a fat embolism. The Sudan Black B stain would verify a fat embolism as being the cause of loss of function. Fat Stains are also helpful in determining if a tumor is arising from fat cells or other types of cells. 

This necklace is a spiral made with size 8 iris beads as the core and size11 iris seed beads beside the accent of Iris 4 x 4 cube beads. It has a self made peyote toggle with 3 loop closure which enables it to be extended. This spiral necklace is so much fun to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment